Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Poor Kids


My kids have heard the word "peace" more times than could even attempt to count. They have seen me teach peace education in the classroom, they have been dragged to numerous yoga classes for children, and have heard countless bedtime stories about peace. My kids were present every step of the way as I became a teacher, wrote my thesis, and my book. You may say they have had their fill of peace by now. How can I tell? The word "peace" is often followed up by an eye roll or a groan by one of my wonderful children.

I have to sympathize with them to a point. How awful it must have been to have parents and teachers teach them how to resolve conflicts peacefully at such a young age! How terrible it must have been to have tools to calm themselves down when they were feeling out of control or angry! And, perhaps the most unfortunate of them all, how absolutely horrible to have a mother who kept talking about peace despite the eye rolling, groans, and protests.

In truth, my kids are getting to the age where nothing that I say will be right, or cool. However, I am discovering that regardless of how much they say they hate to hear about peace, and can't stand to talk about it for one more minute, they are showing me otherwise.

In my book, one of the questions posed to me by teachers was, "How will we know if it works?". My answer then, and now, is "You'll see it when it counts." Last week my daughter was drawing before breakfast, just as she typically does every other day of the week. She quietly hung her masterpiece on the refrigerator and went on with her morning routine. It wasn't until dinner time that I had noticed what it said.

"Be peaceful!! If you do, it will feel like you are in a magical land."

I had to laugh to myself. Despite all of the protests to the contrary, she does listen when we speak of peace. She does take it to heart, and she does truly understand. "You'll see it when it counts." I see it when she works through a disagreement with her sister, I see it as she navigates her way through social issues, and I see it in the way she treats others.

My poor kids. I can see it when it counts, and they are still in denial. I will laugh myself to sleep tonight knowing that for now, my plan to nurture peaceful kids is still working!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And, oh so true! The difference is amazing. Great post Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been many times that I have seem them use peaceful resolutions to situations. Keep on doing what you are doing for it is working. I have seen you enter this magical land when you are peaceful. THe stress seems to be taken away from you when you are in this magical land.

    ReplyDelete